Here I go again. I have joined the 2014 Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge team and will be running this year's Boston Marathon on April 21st, 2014. This will be my eighth marathon, fourth Boston Marathon, and fourth time running for such an amazing cause.

I will be running 26.2 miles in honor of my Mother, a breast cancer survivor. I am also running in memory of my Grandfather James H. Smith, Grandmother Nancy Baumhauer, Uncle Ray Saddington, and friends Patricia Marchetti, Frances Angino, Anthony Marchetti Sr. and Heather Thibodeau.

A full 100% of funds raised by DFMC benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in innovative cancer research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, widely recognized as one of the largest and most successful programs of its kind. Based on rigorous and highly selective process, the Barr Program funds the brightest, most creative scientists making research discoveries that are transforming cancer treatment. Barr investigators have made numerous major breakthroughs resulting in improved survival rates and quality of life for thousands of patients everywhere.

I need your help. I have committed to raise $4000 to run for this cause but my goal is to raise over $9000. You can help by making a donation for this amazing cause, to find a cure for cancer.

Click here to support my cause.


Thank you in advance for your support. It really means so much to me.

Nancy C. Smith


Thursday, March 22, 2012

Race day is approaching

With race day fast approaching I am getting very excited and a little nervous.  I have been recovering from a hamstring injury which has been nagging me for almost a month.  I started physical therapy this week and I hope my PT works her magic and I run the marathon pain free.....of the hamstring that is.  I know that their will be a general pain from head to toe, usually starting at mile 17 getting a little worse every mile for the next 9 miles.  Why do I do this you ask?  Experiencing people cheering me on for an entire 26.2 miles, the general sense of accomplishment, raising much needed funds to help find a cure for cancer, and last but not least, the taste of that first beer and burger after I finish.  It's the best beer you will ever taste, even if it's a Miller Light.  I'm really looking forward to my brother Jim and nephew Hunter to come up and cheer me on and hopefully run the last few miles for me.  Hunter, who is 7 just raced his first 5k in 27 minutes and placed 3rd in his age group.  I'm hoping he will pace me to the finish line since he'll want to be running much faster than I.  I'd love to bring him through the finish line, we'll see what the day brings.   I'm also very excited to see my friends who are having a marathon party at mile 23, an area I will need extra support to get me to the finish.  I still have my 20-ish mile training run still hanging over my head.  I'm doing that next weekend.  After that, the joyous taper until the big day. 
My bib number is 23421.  To get text updates on my progress during the marathon text the word "runner" to 345678.  You will then receive a text back.  Reply with my bib number and then you are all set.
Stay tuned to my blog for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment