Here I go again. I have joined the 2014 Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge team and will be running this year's Boston Marathon on April 21st, 2014. This will be my eighth marathon, fourth Boston Marathon, and fourth time running for such an amazing cause.

I will be running 26.2 miles in honor of my Mother, a breast cancer survivor. I am also running in memory of my Grandfather James H. Smith, Grandmother Nancy Baumhauer, Uncle Ray Saddington, and friends Patricia Marchetti, Frances Angino, Anthony Marchetti Sr. and Heather Thibodeau.

A full 100% of funds raised by DFMC benefit the Claudia Adams Barr Program in innovative cancer research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, widely recognized as one of the largest and most successful programs of its kind. Based on rigorous and highly selective process, the Barr Program funds the brightest, most creative scientists making research discoveries that are transforming cancer treatment. Barr investigators have made numerous major breakthroughs resulting in improved survival rates and quality of life for thousands of patients everywhere.

I need your help. I have committed to raise $4000 to run for this cause but my goal is to raise over $9000. You can help by making a donation for this amazing cause, to find a cure for cancer.

Click here to support my cause.


Thank you in advance for your support. It really means so much to me.

Nancy C. Smith


Sunday, April 22, 2012

I Finished!!

The weekend started with the Sports expo where I picked up my bib and official race shirt and of course some memorabilia.  I met some very cool people there including Olympian Meb Keflezighi and the first women to run the Boston Marathon Kathrine Switzer.  The story of Kathrine's first run is awesome, I recommend googling it.  I also jumped in a picture with Dean Karnazes, the "Ultra Marathon Man".



Monday's forecast was not ideal.  The reports called for 70 degrees at the start and 90 at the finish.  I'm not a good runner in the heat.  Sure enough the weather report was correct.  I started the race very conservatively thinking I could pick up the pace after the Newton hills.  That was not exactly what happened.  There was no shade and we were all just cooking on the black pavement.  I decided very early in the race that I will take my time, have fun, and just get back to Boston with a medal on my neck.  I have many wonderful and funny memories from the race.  In Ashland, at about 11am, there was about 100 people dressed in leather completely drunk outside a biker bar cheering us on.  That made me laugh. Along the entire route residents were out with hoses, sprinklers, ice, candy, pretzels, water and gatorade for us.  There were bands playing music all along the way.  The scream tunnel in Wellesley (mile 13) is always one of my favorite moments, this year I filmed it.  The Wellesley girls can be heard from a mile away cheering on the runners, all with signs offering good luck kisses.  Here is the link to my scream tunnel video.  My brother Jim and nephew Hunter jumped in with me at mile 15.  We ran past team Hoyt at about mile 18 which was exciting to see them.  Hunter ran with me almost to mile 20.  That's the furthest he's ever run. It was hilarious approaching Boston College.  A very drunk student was cheering Hunter on calling him the "s*&%!" for being the youngest marathoner ever.  After Jim and Hunter left me I had only 6 miles to go.  A very long 6 miles!  Passing Boston College was fun with them yelling "Go Nancy" and endless high fives.  Then at mile 23.5 I passed Julie's house where Julie, Kashmir, and Emily cheered me on and gave me much needed oranges, salt, and water.  2.5 miles later I crossed the finish line 1 hour, 20 minutes past my target.  Oh well.  Despite the weather and my very long run, it was the most fun I've had in a marathon.  Everyone [runners, volunteers, residents] supported each other.  It wasn't about racing, it was about helping everyone get back to Boston safely.  I ate so many oranges, candy, water and ice from random people, I'm surprised I didn't get a strange illness.  I'm sure next year we'll have better weather and I can run a faster race.  I appreciate all of your support.  Thank you to everyone who has donated, I raised almost $6300 this year alone for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.


No comments:

Post a Comment